Mix and match pencil skirt

different fabrics

I will always have a reason to stash small pieces of leftover fabrics and I believe my excuses are truly valid.  I use leftovers for linings, for contrast trims, for covering buttons, for bows or any other detail I can think of.  Possibly not everyone in our family shares this love, but I love going trough my bits and pieces.  My new pencil skirt is about mixing and matching fabrics within the same colour range.  I used this black and white cotton flower print, mixed with some leftover uni cotton for the waistband and lace to make this design.  At the waistband I sewed on two strokes of a vintage lace ribbon which I found at the fleamarket of ‘Porte de Clignancourt’ years ago.  You see, eventually everything will get its purpose!

IMG_7106B

IMG_7138B

sewing machine

rokjeIMG_7175

Easy pattern DIY: For this skirt I made a slant cutting into a basic skirt pattern .  That’s it!

 

And one for my instagram followers 😉

mix and match skirt fitting

 

 

Advertisements
Standard

Old one out, new one in!

IMG_4884

There are dresses hanging in my wardrobe for ages waiting to be worn again.  I keep pulling them out and hanging them back, wrong colour, wrong shape, wrong something are keeping me from wearing them again.  I never get rid of them and it seams funny somehow in this throw-away society and fast fashion decade.  It’s against my nature and my love for clothes to remove them but keeping things is also holding on to the past.  Sometimes it’s good to let go though, finally I will repurpose this lime dress.  My daughter will look absolutely stunning in this colour.

sewing machine

IMG_4889

I start by comparing all measurements of my dress with her dress.  I think it’s good to keep as many seams from the original.  It will spare me some time but also avoid damage on the fabric.  I decide to keep the original neckline because of the pleating and the back slit.

IMG_4894

The front and backside of the dress are separated by cutting the side seams and shoulders.  As you can see the lining is still fixed at the neckline.

IMG_4896

I cut of at the shoulders to make a smaller neck opening.  From the new shoulder I measure the total length (+3cm seam) I need for the little dress and cut of the hem.

IMG_4899

To make a smaller armhole I have to reduce the width. I’m cutting of at the side seams.

IMG_4901

The neckline was still too big and I resolved this by adding an extra pleat with a topstitch on both sides.  When repurposing old clothes you need to be inventive and find creative solutions because the dimensions will never be perfect.  That’s what’s actually the most fun.  You can never entirely predict your end result.

IMG_4904

The most tricky part is to assemble everything in a beautiful manner.  I close side seams from the outer shell fabric and the lining separately.  After that I finish the armhole by stitching the fabric and the lining together from the inside.

IIMG_4985

The neckline was still too wide, I added more pleats at the middle front and topstitched it.

IMG_4996

And finally I make a tunnel at the waist for the fabric belt.  I start by making a buttonhole at the middle front in the upper fabric layer.  Then I stitch on top of both layers (lining + fabric) creating a tunnel.  I shortened the original belt length and pull it trough the buttonhole.  After that I finish the hem of the fabric and lining separately.

repurposed dress

My little girl has a new dress to enrich her wardrobe and it doesn’t seem like there’s something missing in mine.

xxx

Made By Me

Standard