Old one out, new one in!

IMG_4884

There are dresses hanging in my wardrobe for ages waiting to be worn again.  I keep pulling them out and hanging them back, wrong colour, wrong shape, wrong something are keeping me from wearing them again.  I never get rid of them and it seams funny somehow in this throw-away society and fast fashion decade.  It’s against my nature and my love for clothes to remove them but keeping things is also holding on to the past.  Sometimes it’s good to let go though, finally I will repurpose this lime dress.  My daughter will look absolutely stunning in this colour.

sewing machine

IMG_4889

I start by comparing all measurements of my dress with her dress.  I think it’s good to keep as many seams from the original.  It will spare me some time but also avoid damage on the fabric.  I decide to keep the original neckline because of the pleating and the back slit.

IMG_4894

The front and backside of the dress are separated by cutting the side seams and shoulders.  As you can see the lining is still fixed at the neckline.

IMG_4896

I cut of at the shoulders to make a smaller neck opening.  From the new shoulder I measure the total length (+3cm seam) I need for the little dress and cut of the hem.

IMG_4899

To make a smaller armhole I have to reduce the width. I’m cutting of at the side seams.

IMG_4901

The neckline was still too big and I resolved this by adding an extra pleat with a topstitch on both sides.  When repurposing old clothes you need to be inventive and find creative solutions because the dimensions will never be perfect.  That’s what’s actually the most fun.  You can never entirely predict your end result.

IMG_4904

The most tricky part is to assemble everything in a beautiful manner.  I close side seams from the outer shell fabric and the lining separately.  After that I finish the armhole by stitching the fabric and the lining together from the inside.

IIMG_4985

The neckline was still too wide, I added more pleats at the middle front and topstitched it.

IMG_4996

And finally I make a tunnel at the waist for the fabric belt.  I start by making a buttonhole at the middle front in the upper fabric layer.  Then I stitch on top of both layers (lining + fabric) creating a tunnel.  I shortened the original belt length and pull it trough the buttonhole.  After that I finish the hem of the fabric and lining separately.

repurposed dress

My little girl has a new dress to enrich her wardrobe and it doesn’t seem like there’s something missing in mine.

xxx

Made By Me

Advertisements
Standard

My 30 minute dress!

30min dress

This must be the easiest dress I’ve ever made!  I created a tube dress in a navy cotton single jersey and finished it off with a sparkling trim.(bargain of last weekend flea market visit).  This fabric doesn’t need a lot of finishing and allows me to cut the hem without seaming it.  I’m just waiting for the right opportunity to flaunt my new dress!

DeocrativeScissors-0610

Dit moet echt het eenvoudiste jurkje zijn dat ik ooit maakte!  Ik creëerde een buisvorm in een donkerblauwe katoenjersey en bovenaan werkte ik het af met een blingbling boordje (rommelmarkt koopje van vorig weekend).  Deze stof heeft weinig afwerking nodig dus onderaan heb ik de stof afgesneden zonder om te zoomen.  Nu nog wachten op de juiste gelegenheid om met mijn jurkje te paraderen!

sewing machine

IMG_4909

I use a firm stretch knitted fabric with a total height of 1,30m.  The width is 22cm smaller than my actual hip width to create a narrow tube.

IMG_4910

I create a tube by sewing both sides together. (I surge the seam but a zigzag stitch is fine too)

IMG_4911

On the top I fold the tube downwards about 20cm to make it more firm.  I fix the fabric with a small stitch onto the seam.

IMG_4912

I’m gathering the tube lightly at the side seam.  This will make the tube dress a bit shorter and easier to keep pleats in position.

IMG_4913

IMG_4916

When I turn the dress inside out with the right fabric side up it looks like this.  This becomes my back seam.

IMG_4917

Finally I add some sparkles.  This is a beaded ribbon I have sewn on by hand, I’m using it only at the front side of the dress because it’s a non stretch.

flea market finds

Last week’s flea market bargain: a pleated tulle ribbon, a pearl beaded collar, leather embossed flowers, an organza collar and the blingbling ribbon for today’s dress.

Standard