Old one out, new one in!


There are dresses hanging in my wardrobe for ages waiting to be worn again.  I keep pulling them out and hanging them back, wrong colour, wrong shape, wrong something are keeping me from wearing them again.  I never get rid of them and it seams funny somehow in this throw-away society and fast fashion decade.  It’s against my nature and my love for clothes to remove them but keeping things is also holding on to the past.  Sometimes it’s good to let go though, finally I will repurpose this lime dress.  My daughter will look absolutely stunning in this colour.

sewing machine


I start by comparing all measurements of my dress with her dress.  I think it’s good to keep as many seams from the original.  It will spare me some time but also avoid damage on the fabric.  I decide to keep the original neckline because of the pleating and the back slit.


The front and backside of the dress are separated by cutting the side seams and shoulders.  As you can see the lining is still fixed at the neckline.


I cut of at the shoulders to make a smaller neck opening.  From the new shoulder I measure the total length (+3cm seam) I need for the little dress and cut of the hem.


To make a smaller armhole I have to reduce the width. I’m cutting of at the side seams.


The neckline was still too big and I resolved this by adding an extra pleat with a topstitch on both sides.  When repurposing old clothes you need to be inventive and find creative solutions because the dimensions will never be perfect.  That’s what’s actually the most fun.  You can never entirely predict your end result.


The most tricky part is to assemble everything in a beautiful manner.  I close side seams from the outer shell fabric and the lining separately.  After that I finish the armhole by stitching the fabric and the lining together from the inside.


The neckline was still too wide, I added more pleats at the middle front and topstitched it.


And finally I make a tunnel at the waist for the fabric belt.  I start by making a buttonhole at the middle front in the upper fabric layer.  Then I stitch on top of both layers (lining + fabric) creating a tunnel.  I shortened the original belt length and pull it trough the buttonhole.  After that I finish the hem of the fabric and lining separately.

repurposed dress

My little girl has a new dress to enrich her wardrobe and it doesn’t seem like there’s something missing in mine.


Made By Me


Pimp up your dress!

Wanneer ik tijdens de koopjes iets mee gris durf ik wel eens impulsief te zijn alhoewel ik meestal twee keer nadenk alvorens iets aan te schaffen.  Dit jurkje heb ik in één of andere shopwoede gekocht zonder zelfs maar te passen, het was echt een koopje en de print was best schattig.  Toen ik het jurkje thuis aanpaste merkte ik dat de verschrikkelijk slechte pasvorm alles behalve flaterend was en dat ik eigenlijk nooit rondfladder in bloemenjurkjes.  Nu hangt het ding reeds een jaar in mijn kast zonder zelfs maar één keer aan te doen.  We zitten in een financiële crisis dus dacht ik om even economisch te zijn en mijn jurkje dan maar een tweede kans te geven.


When I buy clothes during sales I can be a little impulsive sometimes, although I normally consider twice if I absolutely need it.  This dress however I bought in a shopping rage without even fitting, just because of the lovely print and it wasn’t expensive.  At home I tried it on and the fitting was horrible!  Besides, I never wander around in sweet girly flower dresses.   So there it is, hanging in my wardrobe for over a year now without even wearing it once…  We’re in a financial crisis so it’s time to pimp up this dress and give it a new purpose.


This is the dress, terrible fitting so let’s get the scissors!

sewing machine


A scetch for the new dress, my three year old daugther is lucky again!  Backlength: 26cm – Chest width: 30cm – Armhole: 12,5cm – Neckopening: 13cm


To see the proportions I shape the dress, this way I decide if the length of the skirt is in balance with the top.


I compare sizes with other dresses my daughter owns. I want to reuse the finished neckline to save time, the front and back are folded in half and everything is measured carefully.   Shoulder and sideseams are sewn together after cutting it at the right size.


The hemline will be reused for the skirt part of the new dress, this way I don’t need to make a new hemline.  The skirt will be gathered and stichted onto the top.

This is the result! I think I’ve done a good job and it didn’t take hours to sew.